Sri Ramachandra School of Nursing is housed on the 3rd floor of the unitary school/ college of nursing building. It has four well furnished classrooms to accommodate 60 students with all Audio visual aids facilities.
Sri Ramachandra College of Nursing housed in a separate spacious three storied building (5198.7 Sq meters) exclusively for Nursing Education provides conducive teaching – learning environment. There are 13 lecture halls equipped with black and white boards, Overhead projectors, and LCD projectors. Two additional conference halls are available for seminars and conferences.
The college has laboratory facilities for :
- Nursing Foundation
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Paediatric Nursing
- Obstetrics and Gyanecological Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
Fundamentals lab & Medical Surgical Nursing Lab
Fundamentals lab & Medical Surgical Nursing Lab
Obstetrics and Gynaecological Nursing lab
Community Health Nursing Lab
Paediatric Nursing Lab
All these laboratories are well equipped. 6 mannequins and 3 simulators are effectively utilized for demonstration.
- A separate laboratory for nutrition training is also available.
- Students utilize other laboratories in medical college such as biochemistry lab, pathology lab, anatomy lab, physiology lab, microbiology lab, etc for learning.
- A room exclusively for students guidance and counseling has been provided
- All the required clinical experiences is offered in our institution
- There is no need for any affiliation
- Tele nursing is also available.
Sri Ramachandra Harvard learning center is the university’s central library, is strategically located and is centrally air conditioned. It has a seating capacity for 175 students and staff. It works 362 days per year, being open from 8.00 am to 10.00 pm on all working days and from 8.00 am – 8.00 pm on all holidays. The library stocks over 23,000 books (text books, reference books) journals, magazines and MEDLAR services. The library has also e-resources like CDs/DVDs (650 nos), Audio videos (530) and access to on line journals. The library has an archives section (over 30,000 issues) with back issues of various journals bounded with open access for students and researchers. A central museum, micro fiche reader and printers are available in the library. Reprographic facilities like Xerox and CD drives help the students to save a personal copy. Apart from the centrally located Harvard learning center, the College of Nursing also has its own library with 339 books. Book bank facility is also available.
Twenty five computers are available for net access in the library. Internet access is available with broad band access at a speed of 1 MB free of cost. Separate terminals are available for students and faculty. The internet access is also available in the Active Learning center that has 24 computers. Also, the college of Nursing has exclusively one computer that can be used by nursing students for computing facilities.
SRU has a full fledged transport department with 4 buses, 3 mini buses and 13 vans and 16 cars by which staff and students commute to and from the university. Nursing students are provided with transport facilities and community bags during community service and field visits.
Hospital (Parental / Affiliated)
Sri Ramachandra Medical Center
Sri Ramachandra Medical Center is a tertiary care Multi Specialty Hospital with the state of the art facilities. The Medical Center is an eight- storied building with over 41300.27 Sq Meters of built up area and close to 925 beds. Apart from basic departments, it also has specialty units and centers of excellence. The central clinical Laboratory, the state of the art blood bank and the ultra modern Radiology and Imaging Sciences are some, to name a few. The establishment of Tri Cell department for stem cell and research is the latest addition. Non- medical departments like house keeping, electrical, maintenance, laundry, air- conditioning, biomedical, CSSD (Sterilization), Pharmacy and Stores ably lend support to the medical center.
Sri Ramachandra Hospital
Wards in Sri Ramachandra Hospital
Sri Ramachandra Hospital is another integral part of our university. This consists of three floors of outpatient services and five floors of inpatient services. Around 3,000 patients visit the outpatient services each day to the various primary and specialty departments. The inpatient services have the facilities for admitting 765 patients. The unique feature is that these patients are taken care of absolutely free of charge including their diet. This hospital enables the students to have hands- on experience and training, under the able guidance of the faculty. Total beds of both Medical Centre and Hospital is 1690.
SRU has tie up with Mugalivakkam Primary Health centre (PHC) and Nemam PHC (Rural Area) and Alandur Municipality Health Posts (Urban Area) to render services to the community thereby enhancing the learning needs of the students.
The population covered by the Community Health Nursing department are as follows:
- Mugaliwakkam (Primary Health Centre) Rural Area Population : 40,000
- Nemam (Primary Health Centre) Rural area Population: 40,162
- Adambakkam Urban Health Post Population : 49,934
- Alandur Urban Health Post – Population : 80,756.
- Nanganallur Urban Health Post Population : 45,000
- Palavanthangal Urban Health Post Population : 40,000
ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT BY THE DEPARTMENT
Dai training program
- Regular surveys / enumeration are carried out for planning and implementation of health programmes
- Daily home visits are made by community health nursing students under the supervision of the department faculty members
- Students perform physical assessment, nutritional assessment, care of minor illness, first aid etc.
- On regular basis the department conducts school health programme for both private and government schools of the area.
- In collaboration with other departments of SRU, the department conducts free medical camps in the schools.
- Based on the general assessment made in the community, group and mass health education programmes are conducted
- Nursing students actively participate in all national health programmes such as immunization programme, filaria, malaria, TB, leprosy and HIV/AIDS programme in collaboration with government and non governmental agencies and identify risk groups for referral and also conduct awareness campaigns.
- Referral services to the community are available.
- Students conducts regular counseling and diversional therapies for the individual and to their families especially for the mentally ill patients
- Students conduct screening services on hypertension, diabetes mellitus and cancer cervix
Students under the supervision of faculty conduct dais training programme for the traditional birth attendants
- Different observational field visits are made for the students according to their need such as visit to DMS Office, Directorate of family welfare office, ICDS, IPH, ICMR, Water purification Plant, Sewage treatment plant, Milk dairy, District Health Office, Spastic society, Industrial visits and orphanage home
- The department organizes regular meetings with community leaders, and self help groups to discuss on all health related matters of the community so as to promote community participation
- Mass health education programmes and health exhibitions are conducted by the students on regular basis using different A.V.Aids such as slide projector, Puppets, flipcharts, posters, flannel board, charts and models
Single room in hostel
- The university has separate hostels for men and women with mess facilities within its campus. 1000 single rooms for men and 1450 for women are available to accommodate the students. These rooms are fully furnished for comfortable stay.
- The area layout for hostel is about 67,011.98 sq meters.
- The hostel has adequate supervisory arrangement with chief warden -1, Resident warden -1 and 7 Assistant resident wardens.
- Mess and canteen arrangements are adequately provided.
- Other facilities include uninterrupted power and water supply, visitors room, reading room, TV room, Indoor games, Gymnasia – two, separately for men and women, a general stores for purchase of essential items and paid broad band connection.
- Non resident Indian (NRI) students have rooms with additional facilities and a separate special mess.
- Include grounds/ court for Cricket -2, Football -1,Basketball -2, Ball Badminton-2, Throwball-1,Volleyball -3, Tennis -1, Indoor -2, Snooker and Pool boards -3
- Other facilities in SRU includes:
Temple, Crèche, Reprography, printing press, DTP center, Laundry, Restaurants, Boarding and lodging for parents, Telephone with STD and Fax, Recreation and faculty club, Post office, Banks, Railway/Travels booking, Flight booking, ATM center, Yoga rooms, Boutique shop and Gift shop.
Sri Ramachandra School of Nursing students are given an amount of Rs. 300/- as remuneration during 3rd year and Rs. 500/- during their internship period.